Questions about hair extensions? Let the Dallas Hair Extension Experts help you!
Hair Extension FAQ’s
What are hair extensions? Hair extensions are a tool used by women to add length or volume to their hair. They come in many different forms and hair types and can be used temporarily (for an evening) or permanently (between 3 – 6 months depending upon type of hair extension system).
What kind of hair is used in hair extensions?
There are three types of hair used in making hair extensions.
- Remy Human Hair: Used in permanent hair extension systems. Remy hair is beautiful, vibrant tangle free human hair that blends seamlessly with your own hair. You can wash, curl, and flat iron these extensions just like your own hair.
- Non Remy Hair: Used in many temporary hair extensions (most commonly referred to as clip-in hair extensions). This hair is less expensive because it does not last as long as remy. It cannot handle the wear and tear of daily wear.
- Synthetic Hair: Used for clip-in hair extensions. Synthetic hair is less expensive than human hair. If you need extra hair, for a one time event or just for fun, this type of hair extension is perfect.
How do I know if extensions are right for me? The only hurdles most face when deciding on hair extensions are based on their health and normal hair routine.
What happens during my consultation? A hair extension consultation is a 30 minute meeting where a stylist will get to know you and your hair. It starts with a quick questionnaire that asks the most important questions about your lifestyle and your hair history.
Do you like to style your own hair? Do you love to style and care for your hair? Great! Then hair extensions are a fantastic way for you to enhance your look. Hair extensions require a certain amount of care and that includes styling them.
Will hair extensions damage my hair?
They can BUT they shouldn’t. Damage occurs from a combination of these factors:
- Using the wrong type of hair extensions.
- Not taking proper care of your hair extensions. (example: not properly brushing extensions)
- The improper removal of hair extensions.
Your stylist will recommend the best hair extension system for your hair type. All care and maintenance will be explained in detail. Your hair extensions will be removed with the utmost care and only with manufacturer recommended products.
If anything out of the ordinary happens or anything makes you uncomfortable you should contact The Beauty Box Salon immediately.
What condition does my hair need to be in? Your hair and scalp need to be healthy and in good condition.
How long does my hair need to be? Your natural hair will need to be long enough to attach hair extensions. We recommend your hair to be at least chin length. We will go over this during your consultation.
What kind of haircut is good for hair extensions? One length hair cannot be extended; the hair must be softened and slightly layered before lengthening. A-line bobs are especially hard to blend into hair extensions.
Can I color my hair and wear hair extensions? Yes! Wearing hair extensions does not affect your color services. In fact, most women do both. We recommend coloring your hair before applying extensions. You can schedule both services in one appointment. You should never color your own hair or your hair extensions.
How often can I wash my hair? We recommend washing your hair every other day to ensure the upkeep and longevity of your hair extensions. Dry shampoos can help keep your hair looking beautiful in between shampoos.
Can I swim with hair extensions? We do not recommend pool or ocean water with hair extensions. However, we know it happens. We will provide you with specific instructions to follow when enjoying the water.
Extended pool or salt water exposure will lessen the longevity of your hair extensions.
Can I put my hair in a ponytail? Yes, we recommend that the ponytail be loose and secured at the base of your neck. Try to avoid angles that will pull on your extensions for extended periods of time.
Which hair extension system is right for me? When it comes to extensions there seems to be about as many application methods as there are hair extensions companies. The Beauty Box Salon has made it a priority to stay up to date on the latest and greatest methods that will look the most natural and be the least damaging to your hair.
The application that’s right for you will depend on:
- Your current hair length,
- The end result you are going for
- Type and density of your hair and other factors
Can hair extensions be reused? It depends on the hair extension system that you are wearing. A few systems are designed to be reapplied one or more times after the initial application. If the system is not designed in this manner, you should will not be able re-use the extensions.
Can I take them out myself? NEVER! Unless you are a trained stylist, you should not be removing any hair extension system. This can cause damage to your own hair and be quite costly in the long run. Always schedule an appointment to remove your hair extensions by a trained professional.
What happens if I don’t like my hair extensions? The Beauty Box Salon guarantees the quality of the hair and the application. It does not guarantee you will like wearing hair extensions. We do not offer refunds on hair extension services.
What do you guarantee?
At The Beauty Box Salon we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of products and service. Our hair extension warranty requires purchase of recommended care products..
- All hair extension services require the purchase of a basic hair care regimen in order to guarantee the application.
- Provided you have purchased required care products, The Beauty Box Salon offers a 4 week limited warranty on all hair extension products and services. If there is anything wrong with the quality or workmanship within this time period The Beauty Box Salon will fix at no additional charge.
- Problems that may occur after 4 weeks but under 12 may be eligible for a 25% discount.
- The Beauty Box Salon does not guarantee you will like hair extensions, however, we guarantee the quality and workmanship of your hair extensions.
- We will provide you with a daily list of care instructions.
- A free follow up appointment is provided and required within 1 week of your appointment for any new hair application.
- New extension clients are required book a 1 week check up in order for the Hair Extension Warranty to be valid.
- The Beauty Box Salon cannot responsible for the cost of a hair extension removal if the you decide that hair extensions are not for you. Rest assured we will do everything we can to make sure you are happy with your extension service
- Absolutely NO REFUNDS are available for hair extensions deposits and services
We will provide you with a detailed list of care instructions. If you have trouble, we are here to help you through the process.
All maintenance and hair services must be done by The Beauty Box Salon while wearing hair extensions. Any service done outside of The Beauty Box Salon may negate your hair extension warranty. Refunds are not available on hair extension services.
Do I need specific hair care products to take care of my extensions?
Yes. All our extension systems require special hair care products designed for the unique needs of hair extensions. You will need to purchase these products in order to properly take care of your hair extensions. If you do not we cannot guarantee your hair extension service.
Hair extensions may not be right for you are experiencing any of the following:
- Currently losing your hair due to an illness or health related issue. You would be better suited looking into a wig or other hair replacement. We have a specialist at the salon who is trained in providing the best type of hair replacement based on each client’s needs.
- Not used to spending time managing and taking care of your own natural hair.
- Extremely active. (example: Yoga, swimming, and Zumba everyday)
- Had a major surgery within the last 90 days.
- Suffer from trichotillomania.
- Have had difficulties in the past wearing hair extensions.
- Your hair is in poor condition, over processed, severely damaged, extremely fine and shows reason for concern, if you have a sensitive scalp or skin complaints hair extensions may not be right for you.